Thursday 17 March 2011

Deleted and free


Welcome to my blog – I’m going to be updating my experiences of being a Freewoman.
My friend asked me why I was referring to myself as ‘deleted’. She thought it sounded like I was feeling down about the ‘r’ word. No, I said, that was how the Machine termed it. My post has been deleted, not me, of course, but hey, it sounded a lot like I had been deleted to me, so I have kept the reference as a reminder for how that first conversation with the boss came across. And how the words, ‘have you got a minute’ suddenly took on a whole new meaning.
I decided then that it was preferable to be on the receiving end of such a missive and grateful that I shall never have to say the same to anyone.
So, here I am, four weeks in and so far so good. Having worked for forty odd years of my life with just a nine month break for procreation, I reckon I deserve a break. Even before the governments started wittering on about the need to look for work, whatever the circumstances, I was their best advert for a woman who did not hang about on the hand outs. Having realised that my income at the time barely covered the nursery fees, I went back to study for a teaching degree as soon as my daughter started school (to give me the holidays).  Luckily, back in those days I got a grant which just and so kept the wolf from the door alongside working as well. My extra income came from running playschemes and being ‘Judy’ and the ‘Hangman’ in a slightly more feminist version of Punch and Judy -  Judy worked as a mechanic on Ford Cortinas at the bottom of a tower block and her handbag opened to reveal a set of tools. And she took on the final battle with the crocodile ‘on the other side’ with much gusto. Fond memories: one particularly fun outing was the summer festival where we were giving it our all in a hot and dusty booth when over the top appeared a python, someone’s idea of audience participation no doubt. Did we retreat in horror, dear friend? Why no, the show continued with a choice comment from Mr Punch and an exchange of exasperated glances between myself and partner as we ducked down lower into the booth. The show goes on, always.
The sun is shining today and I have a lunch date. My diary is still full though now includes things like walking, swimming, theatre and gardening. One day I must consider a return to the machine but not yet……
Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment